Greek Italian Dutch German Swedish Russian
Lefkada
Links Sitemap Contact Us

Web Cam Lefkada - Central Square

Maps of Lefkada
Speech and Art Feasts in Lefkada International Folklor Festival
Events
Museums & Galleries in Lefkada
The Web Site is hosted to SYZEFXIS

Manicipality of Lefkada

The most significant natural beauties, a visitor can meet to his trip to the island: 

Gira: The narrow lane of white sand 7 km long, embracing the lagoon to the north side of the island, creating unique scenery. It starts from the back side, nearly close to the Castle of Aghias Mavras, forming the Ammoglossa and reaching the other side, beyond the town.

The Lagoon in the town
of Lefkada

The lagoon in the town of Lefkada and the Lagoon of Stena, create magical sceneries.
They were enlisted to the network of NATURA 2000 as protected areas with significant ecological importance. The area of the lagoon in the town of Lefkada presents a great interest as an immigrate station of birds, characterized by the treaty of RAMSAR as a wildlife sanctuary of international interest. There you can meet many and rare species of birds, like heron, swans, a variety of gulls, ducks and geese.

Inside the lagoon, evari exists, sea farms with special traditional kiddles, where the fishes live and grow under a natural environment.


The oil grove: To the north of the town of Lefkada, there is an oil grove with perennial olive trees.
When the Turkish arrived for the first time to the island, there were already about 8500 olive trees to the field of Lefkada and to the villages of Apolpena, Fryni and Aghios Nikitas.

The Venetians, who returned in 1684, appointed the cultivation of olive trees, as compulsory. In this way they tried to; balance the inhabitant’s loss caused from the damage of shipping business, and trade by transferring the town away from the Castle imposing heavy taxation.

By replacing the grain, which until then was seeded to the field of olive trees, were keeping inhabitants in a deficient position in order to control them, being the suppliers of grain.

Pefkoulia: After the village of Tsoukalades and in the route towards Aghios Nikitas, the olive trees had been replaced by a forest of pine trees. This territory is called Pefkoulia, covers all this area reaching down the sea, ending to a big sandy beach, which is also called Pefkoulia. 

Alikes (salt pans): From the other side, facing east, outside the town of Lefkada, you can meet the salt pans of the town. Salt pans have stopped operating in 1947 and together with Alikes (salt pans) Alexandros, near the bay and the port Drepani, are a very important part of the land’s history which should be definitely preserved.

The first salt pans had been constructed by the Franks of Tokkous, in the early part of the 15th century with an expanse of 500 sq.m. They were composed by 26 alopigia or pans.

During the Venetian domination, the salt pans had been supplying with salt, the market of Venetia and from there, every market of North Italy and Central Europe.

The second salt pans had been constructed by Venetians of Morozini, in 1684, in an expanse of 50 sq.m with 34 pans. The salt pans of Lefkada supplied a great quantity and quality of salt. Protected from the wave, they were open spaces with dazzling sunlight and dry summer. The sea water was quickly evaporated, leaving the salt to the bottom of the pan, preserved for a few days and then carried to the shoulders and heads of the workers, to the huge central pile for elaboration and collection at the end of August.

The work was very hard and dangerous for women workers, carrying barefoot 25 to 30 kilos. 

The Forest of Skaros: A great monument of nature. This forest has a unique flora and fauna with a rare kind of oak trees. Many evidences exist, stating that this forest was a property of the Turk Achmet Aga during the Turkish domination, who sold it for a worthless amount to the priest of the Monastery of Aghios Georgios in Skaros.