Greek Italian Dutch German Swedish Russian
Lefkada
Links Sitemap Contact Us

Web Cam Lefkada - Central Square

Maps of Lefkada
Speech and Art Feasts in Lefkada International Folklor Festival
Events
Museums & Galleries in Lefkada
The Web Site is hosted to SYZEFXIS

Archaeological places of Lefkada’s Municipality

The castle of Aghia Mavra

The caste of Aghia Mavra is located at the entrance of the island. It is one of the most imposing medieval buildings of Greece, representing the fortification art of this period.

It was built around 1300 from a Frank leader, Ioannis Orsini, when he took Lefkada as a wedding gift for his wedding with the daughter of Epirus Bishop Nikiforos A.

The castle was protecting the capital of the island, as the most important defensive armoring against Pirates and other enemies, from the first decade of 14th century since 1684. In 1487, it was overtaken by Turks, who built a large arch shaped bridge with 360 rooms, which crossed the lagoon from the coast to Kalkani, resting the pipes of a water tower. This project was destroyed by the earthquakes. Some ruins are still preserved in the lagoon.


The ancient town 
Nirikos

Archeological findings
in Kalligoni

Nirikos: 2 km outside and east of the town, passing through the olive grove, you can reach Kalligoni.

The area has been declared an archeological place, as here, was located the ancient town of Lefkada, Nirikos - reaching the areas of Tsechlibous, Kalligoni, Kariotes, Ligia of Lefkada’s Municipality.

This archeological place embodies the ruins of the surrounding settlement of Ancient Lefkada, which are dated from Archaic to Roman times, 2 cemeteries of the ancient town, monuments, construction ruins, like graves, farmhouses, and harbor facilities composing an integral part of the protected monumental place of the ancient town abandoned around 1300.